Vidyasagar Evening College, a co-educational institution affiliated to the University of Calcutta, shares a long and illustrious history with two of its sister institution Vidyasagar College and Vidyasagar College for Women.
The emergence of Metropolitan Institution from Calcutta Training School, (set up by Thakurdas Chakraborty in 1859) when Iswar Chandra Vidyasagar became the President of the its managing committee in 1860, set the institution for and unwavering and irrevocable process of growth which led it to be affiliated by Calcutta University for first Arts on January 1st, 1872, and ultimately in 1917 it was renamed Vidyasagar College. Since then the College entered a phase of rapid growth which made it expand its academic curriculum by introducing a commerce department in 1922 and a morning section for women in 1931. In the course of its expansion the institution had as its alumni Swami Vivekananda, Acharya Prafulla Chandra Ray, Acharya Jadunath Sarkar, Ram Monohar Lohia, Babu Jagjiban Ram and many others who made immence contribution in various walks of life. The institution also had the services of such great luminaries as Rashtraguru Surendranath Banerjee, Desbandhu Cittaranjan Das, Professor Sisir Kumar Bhaduri, Nabin Chandra Vidyaratna and even Rabindranath Tagore in various capacities. The commerce Department of the college, established in 1922, has the distinction of being the oldest commerce teaching department in India.
It had its affiliation upto B.Com standard in 1928 and attracted students from different parts of India. It was due to the untiring effort of Prof. J.C. Mitra, the then Vice-Principal of the College the Commerce Department made such repaid growth in terms of faculty and student strength that a separate wing devoted to commerce teaching in evening hours was established in 1951. The evening section emerged as an independent entity with a separate governing body in 1961 having the name Vidyasagar Evening College and since then the College is being run with the sole mission of disseminating knowledge to a cross section of students, more especially to those who are constrained to work during the day to support themselves and their family.
In the pursuit of doing so the College has gone through an uninterrupted surge of expansion that has made it take up in addition to commerce the teaching of Humanities and Science subjects too with Honours in Bengali, English, Political Science, Geography, Mathematics, Physics and Physiology.
True to the Philanthropic spirit of Vidyasagar, the founder of the College, the teaching and the non-teaching staff are tireless in exploring new avenues of growth and making the functioning of the College more responsive to the needs of the students. But limitation of space, since the premises is utilized by the three colleges on a time sharing basis, has so far kept the expansion of its academic activity rather modest. However with the recent acquisition of a plot of land adjacent to the main building by Vidyasagar Evening College and Vidyasagar College for women for the construction of a seperate building the College is poised for the fulfillment of quite a few of its future plans.