Admission Notice for M.Sc. Course in
Geography (Geo) and Dietetics and Community Nutrition Management (DCNM)
for academic session 2014-15
Vidyasagar Evening College, a co-educational institution affiliated to the University of Calcutta, shares a long and illustrious history with two of its sister institution Vidyasagar College and Vidyasagar College for Women.
The emergence of Metropolitan Institution from Calcutta Training School, (set up by Thakurdas Chakraborty in 1859) when Iswar Chandra Vidyasagar became the President of the its managing committee in 1860, set the institution for and unwavering and irrevocable process of growth which led it to be affiliated by Calcutta University for first Arts on January 1st, 1872, and ultimately in 1917 it was renamed Vidyasagar College. Since then the College entered a phase of rapid growth which made it expand its academic curriculum by introducing a commerce department in 1922 and a morning section for women in 1931. In the course of its expansion the institution had as its alumni Swami Vivekananda, Acharya Prafulla Chandra Ray, Acharya Jadunath Sarkar, Ram Monohar Lohia, Babu Jagjiban Ram and many others who made immence contribution in various walks of life. The institution also had the services of such great luminaries as Rashtraguru Surendranath Banerjee, Desbandhu Cittaranjan Das, Professor Sisir Kumar Bhaduri, Nabin Chandra Vidyaratna and even Rabindranath Tagore in various capacities. The commerce Department of the college, established in 1922, has the distinction of being the oldest commerce teaching department in India.